Saturday, July 28, 2007

Where is home?

I'm in the process of packing up my house or at least most of it. (Some colleagues are moving in so at least I can leave some things for them to use.) It's quite unsettling but this is the life I've chosen. I've lived in 12 different houses in the Philippines and 4 different places in Canada over the past 24 years. "Home" where is it? I've lived off and on in the Philippines for 24 years. I feel "at home" here now but I'm still a "foreigner". My white skin keeps reminding me and everyone else. I hold a Canadian passport and all my family are in Canada but I don't feel "at home" there anymore. I try to make "home" wherever I unpack my suitcase. One good thing about moving around alot is that you get rid of unnecessary "things". I'm naturally a "pack rat" I hate to throw away something that might be useful. For instance I save empty powdered milk boxes to use as gift boxes. However I'm learning to get rid of things to reduce my "clutter" and baggage.
When I see my friends settled in their comfortable homes it can be tempting to wish I had more of a stable life. But I wouldn't trade my "nomaid" life for anything. Come to think of it we are all pilgrims on planet earth. I have a poster on my wall that is a good reminder for me it says "Heaven, it's a great place to call home". That's the only place that I'll ever really feel at home.

No comments: